Médecins du monde Belgium (MdM-BE) has started its intervention Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) in 2019 with a program focusing on provision of Mental Health and Psycho-social Support (MHPSS) services in favor of migrants / refugees / asylum seekers (m/r/a), residing in Temporary Reception Centers / Emergency Tented Center (TRC / ETC) in Una-Sana Canton (USC) and Sarajevo Canton (SC). The objective of these Terms of Reference is to identify a Consultant to provide an analysis of the approaches and rationale that underpin a holistic MHPSS for m/r/a. The aim of the consultancy is to offer a tool for reflection and concrete proposals to actors and institutions active in the specific field to disseminate e lessons learned among a broader audience.
*for the purpose of the Consultancy, applications from either an individual Expert and a pool of Expert/Firm will be considered: however the bids will be evaluated both from a expertise and cost-efficiency perspective, with weighed ratio 60%/40%; in the ToR, the terms ‘Consultant’ and ‘Expert’ are used for the same purpose and apply to both individuals and firms .
Brief presentation of mdm project
The Capitalization is foreseen specifically in the framework of MdM-BE Project: “Ensured Access to Health Services and Protection Response for asylum seekers, refugees and migrants in BiH” implemented in partnership with DRC (Danish Refugee Council) and funded by the European Commission, DG-ECHO. The expected result for MdM-BE activities is to ensure that m/r/a hosted in TRC/ETC have access to quality, coordinated and context relevant MHPSS services. M/r/a are enabled to access appropriate care through a range of multi-level, comprehensive and strengthened MHPSS services. The range of support provided inside TRC/ETC includes:
- PSS and early detection through empowerment and psychoeducational (coping mechanisms, stress management, etc.) group activities;
- Individual/group mental health support;
- Case management, referral and follow-up of m/r/a in need of (mental health) specialized care to other relevant public and civil society support structures.
objective, OUTPUT and target AUDIENCE
The objective of the Capitalization work is to provide methodological support to MdM-BE BiH team with the purpose to enhance their expertise by capitalizing on their experience. Additionally, focus will be given on sharing a framework of best practices concerning MHPSS services provision for m/r/a based on experiences, knowledge and lessons learned.
The expected output is a comprehensive report exploring, as a minimum, the following benchmarks:
- analysis of MdM-BE operational set up and relevant key elements
- identification of lessons learned based on the Staff and beneficiaries’ experiences
- provision of practical recommendation for an additional / potential phase of intervention
- identification of success elements that could potentially become the object of a scientifically based and formal evaluation in an subsequent period.
This report is expected to be shared with the stakeholders involved in the migration response in BiH, including: national health/mental health authorities, partner organizations in the field, other health/mental health organizations, funding agencies, and MdM-BE donors and members.
The Capitalization Report, should be between 40 and 50 pages long (annexes excluded), typed size 12, single spacing, and should include:
- Executive summary (3 pages maximum)
- List of acronyms
- Context (description of the project including constraints which have a relevant impact on the project)
- Objectives of the capitalization process
- Methodology and limitations
- Main findings / results
- Analysis and lessons learned (positive and negative)
- Conclusions and recommendations
Annexes: Terms of reference, list of PEOPLE MET and schedule, questionnaires, interview guides, etc.
The Expert should design a detailed qualitative methodology based on:
- semi-structured face to face individual discussions at MdM-BE Headquarters level (Brussels)
- Interviews with key informants KI (staff, stakeholders and partners)
- focus group discussions with Field Teams (BiH) / key informants
- a life story formatted with the beneficiaries
- field visit to 4 TRC/ETC (as a minimum) in BiH
- desk review analysis of project documentation.
The methodology will be validated by MdM-BE: BiH General Coordinator, Balkan region Desk Officer, Quality of Care Advisor – Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL).
EXPECTED DELIVERABLES AND TIMEFRAME
Deliverable 1: Detailed methodology report, including work plan, data collection tools, ethics and safety protocol to be submitted with the application
Deliverable 2: First draft of the capitalization report (see above OUTPUT) to be submitted to MdM-BE at the end of the field work phase.
Deliverable 3: Power point presentation (PPP) of the overall Capitalization process for the validation workshop.
Deliverable 4: Final version of the Capitalization Report, incorporating MdM-BE comments, remarks, exchanges and points of discussions of the validation process.
- At least one meeting will be organized by MdM-BE upon starting of the consultancy period, provide feed-back on Deliverable 1.
- The Expert will organize a validation workshop following MdM-BE feedback on Capitalization Report first draft (Deliverable 2).
If needed, additional meetings can be organized upon MdM-BE and / or Expert’s request.
- Review of project document and progress reports
- Other relevant literature review (suggested by field team)
- Briefing from HQ (feedback on Deliverable 1)
- Agreement on activities & timeframes
- Preparation of meetings/programme
- Development of assessment methodology (meetings, focus groups)
|Brussels / online
Workplan and timeframe
Evaluation instruments (examples: questionnaires, interview protocols, meeting schedule, focus groups, etc.).
Field work phase
- Introductory general meeting with SMT
- Ad hoc meetings with MdM Staff: to be defined by Consultant
- Meetings with stakeholders (e.g. project partners, other organizations, to be suggested by Consultant
- Field visits TRC/ETC
||BiH (possibly both USC and SC)
Documented records of interviews and observations with stakeholders.
Data collection and analysis
Draft evaluation findings
Writing Draft Report
- Draft Report & Final Report
- Contain an executive summary
- Be analytical in nature (both quantitative and qualitative)
- Be structured around issues and related findings
- Include conclusions and recommendations
- Present draft report for review by MdM-BE
Plus 10-15 days for MdM-BE review of Draft Report
Draft report delivered to MdM-BE for consideration and for comments
Submission of Final Report
incorporating MdM-BE comments, remarks, exchanges and points of discussions of the validation process.
||Time allocated to the Assignment
||20 days + 15 days for MdM-BE review
The consultancy should be fully completed by 15/12/2020 (including review and incorporated comments, and Final Capitalization Report finalized and submitted).
Total duration of the assignment should be between 30 and 45 days.
The indicative timetable is liable to change at any time depending on how the situation develops and especially on the security situation.
ORGANISATION of the CAPITALISATION MISSION
Logistics and management
It is advisable that the Consultant makes use of her/his personal laptop due to the need to work in different settings (remote, field, etc.), if not possible MdM-BE HQ will evaluate the need to provide a laptop. During the Field work phase, all assets present in MdM-BE BiH premises will be made available for the Consultant, including COVID-19 PPE (masks and gloves), printers, etc
Means of communication
It is advisable that the Consultant makes use of her/his personal phone (including communication Apps, e.g. WhatsApp, Viber, Skype..) due to the need to work in different settings (remote, field, etc.). During the Field work phase, if needed, MdM-BE BiH could provide a local phone. All other assets present in MdM-BE BiH premises will be made available for the Consultant (e.g. video projector, etc). The Consultant should verify with BiH mission priori to the visit for specific needs.
During the Field work phase, the Consultant will be accommodated in one of MdM-BE BiH guesthouses / hotel of medium level (depending on availability and site); costs will be covered by MdM-BE. Transportations for Field Visits will be provided by MdM-BE; for in-country movement between bases (USC and SC) will be organized by MdM-BE, and might include use of public transport (train, bus,..). One return ticket from Consultant’s base to BiH or Croatia (plus road transport to BiH) will be provided by MdM-BE.
EU citizen can enter BiH on a Tourist visa for a duration of up to 90 days: visa is obtained at the border without cost. It is responsibility of the Consultant to verify the restrictions and requirements related to movements during the COVID-19 pandemic (negative test required, quarantine, etc).
Translation for Field Work with beneficiaries will be provided by MdM-BE Staff for the relevant languages. Any additional support should be highlighted by the Consultant and approved by MdM-BE.
No major security risks are identified in BiH. The Consultant will be asked to read, approve, subscribe and conform to Security Guideline for BiH mission (including a brief initial briefing). COVID-19 risks are similar to other countries in Europe and rules will be highlighted at the beginning of the Field Work Phase to provide the most updated.
PROFILE OF THE CONSULTANT
The consultant should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent level) in mental health, public health, social sciences
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in the mental health sector
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills
- Excellent oral and written English. Knowledge of French would be an asset
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Capacity to supervise the management of qualitative data collection, FGD, life story
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of migratory process
The consultant will be supervised by MdM-BE Quality of Care Advisor – Monitoring Evaluation Accountability and Learning (MEAL), and will w ork in close collaboration with BiH General Coordinator and Balkan Regional Desk Officer.
To participate to the selection process, the Consultants invited to bid shall provide the following list of documents in .doc format:
- Technical proposal including:
1) technical approach and the detailed methodology
2) team’s structure (number of experts, position, CVs), including assigned responsibilities, timeframe availability (expected total duration within 30-45 days to be completed before 15/12/20 – the Consultancy can be performed by one individual provided s/he has proven technical capacity and structure
3) tentative workplan, and an estimate of required staff time in working days
4) financial proposal, (including taxes), with detailed breakdown of costs (fees, per diems/living expenses, etc)
Application should be sent via email to: email@example.com , with subject reference “Bosnia Capitalization”, by 29/10/2020 9.00 a.m. Brussels time