Careers at the von Karman Institute: Construct the future together!
For 65 years as an international centre of excellence in fluid dynamics, the von Karman Institute (VKI) brings together young engineers and scientists from all over the world to study, improve their skills and perform their research.
“A scientist studies what is, whereas an engineer creates what never was “ Théodore von Kármán
Besides its mission of education, the von Karman Institute gathers the top-level scientists and engineers to work on very challenging projects as the next generation of engines, new propulsion concepts, the new green energy, the safety of industry, solutions for a cleaner space, the Mission to Mars and many other fields of research which can make the difference for the humankind. Those scientists have access to more than 50 wind tunnels and test rigs, some of them unique in the world to help them in their projects.
VKI is a team of people looking in the same direction, for a better future, not only scientists and engineers but also students, PhD candidates, PostDocs, IT, Human Resources, accountants, librarians, designers, and technicians and more....
Today, we are looking for a Technical Designer to complete our Design Office, part of the ‘Assets & Resources’ Service.
Your responsibilities (summary of the job)
Within the Design Office, you will actively participate in the design studies for new test facilities in collaboration with researchers and technical teams, under the supervision of the head of the office.
More specifically, your main tasks during the course of a study will be to:
- Get to know the existing situation on site and study the available documents (3D, blueprints, technical documentation)
- Carry out an initial concept and feasibility study based on the specific needs of the project in collaboration with the engineers.
- Propose a pre-design in the form of preliminary sketches and 3D, carrying out a dimensioning calculation if needed or a specific search for components/materials.
- Participate in the various discussions between project stakeholders (researchers, laboratory team, workshop, instrumentation, suppliers) in order to assess the accuracy of the selected design.
- Then develop this concept in 3D under Catia V5 until full maturity, including manufacturing, cost and assembly constraints.
- Produce detailed 2D drawings for manufacturing and the technical documents required for assembly and use of the facility.
- Provide technical support to the teams in charge of manufacturing and assembling the equipment.
You will also, to a lesser extent, be required to respond to internal requests for information and services made to the DO: modification of plans related to the maintenance of buildings or facilities, printing service, archiving and researching of blueprints, creation of views for reports, etc.
This position reports to the Mechanical Support Manager.
- Bachelor's degree in technical drawing
- Very good knowledge of computer-aided design and drawing of complex mechanical parts
- Functional knowledge of Catia V5 and eager to upgrade your skills
- Good basis knowledge of material resistance and notions in finite element calculation
- Inventive, organised and methodical
- Interpersonal skills, team spirit and ease of communication
- Knowledge of French and/or Dutch and basic command of English
- A permanent full-time contract
- An attractive salary package, including pension-, hospitalization- and dental insurances, as well as other fringe benefits.
- A stimulating and challenging job
- Work with enthusiastic people driven by passion.
- A flexible working culture with opportunities for partial homeworking
- An international environment with students, as a research and educational institution
As the von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone who meets the eligibility criteria below is encouraged to apply for this position.
- meet the requirements for the duties concerned.
- be a citizen of one of the VKI partner countries (see link): https://www.vki.ac.be/index.php/home-v16/eligibility
Location: Close to Brussels @ Rhode-Saint-Genèse (Flemish-Brabant)
Important: Please apply online, do NOT send your application by email.