Careers at the von Karman Institute: Construct the future together!
For 65 years as an international centre of excellence in fluid dynamics, the von Karman Institute (VKI) brings together young engineers and scientists from all over the world to study, improve their skills and perform their research. The VKI provides post-graduate education in fluid dynamics by encouraging “training in research through research” in an international environment.
Besides its mission of education, the von Karman Institute has a long research tradition in all the fields of fluid dynamics which gathers top-level scientists and engineers to tackle highly demanding projects in various domains. These endeavors encompass the development of next generation of engines, novel propulsion ideas, sustainable energy solutions, industrial safety measures, cleaner space initiatives, aerospace missions, and a wide array of other research areas aimed at advancing scientific knowledge and fostering a respectful society. VKI offers more than 50 wind tunnels and test rigs, with unique facilities in the world, and strongly promotes collaboration between modeling, numerical and experimental research.
Today, we are looking for a permanent faculty position in the Aeronautics and Aerospace department. Our intention is that the position will be offered at the assistant professor rank, but outstanding candidates at the rank of associate professor (6 years of recognized professional leadership experience in aerospace research) will be considered.
- The review of applications will begin on October 1st, 2023; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
About the Research topic:
The Aeronautics and Aerospace Department is focused, in particular, on activities at the edge of aerospace technology and basic research in strong collaboration with space and defense agencies as well as industrial partners. For more information about our research activities, please visit: http://www.vki.ac.be/ar-dept.
Your responsibilities (summary of the job):
A full-time academic position in the field of hypersonic covering applied research in aerothermodynamics and high speed-turbulence.
Responsibilities will include:
- Teaching courses related to hypersonic flight at the master-after-master level, mentoring students and leading a team of graduate students in Ph.D. research.
- Conducting cutting-edge research on the development of high-speed applications in strong interactions with the ground testing facilities and CFD resources collaborating with the other research units of the department.
- Contribute to the advancement of aerospace technologies with industry and institutional partners.
- Communicate and publish research findings in reputable scientific journals.
- Doctoral degree in aerospace engineering topic with emphasis on high-speed flows.
- Minimum 6 yearsof recognized professional leadership in aerospace research
- Demonstrates strong teaching skills.
- Strong background in the field of hypersonic, aerothermodynamics, high speed turbulence and advanced data analysis tools.
- International scientific experience and the ability to pursue a program of innovative research.
- Areas of relevance:
- Aerothermodynamics of hypersonic systems and aerospace missions.
- Development of experimental set-up for innovative research in high-speed turbulent flows
- Boundary layer stability analysis for fundamental and applied aerospace activities
- Investigations in validation strategies and data analysis for multi-physics flow applications
- Employed by the von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics in one of the most attractive areas of central Europe in the neighborhood of Brussels.
- Work at the internationally renowned von Karman Institute in a key role advancing technologies for future energy systems.
- Work in close collaboration with European and US universities as well as an industry network.
- Become part of the VKI network with global access to industry experts and academics in the field of fluid dynamics, aerospace, propulsion, and energy conversion.
- Experience the unique international workshop character of the VKI working environment.
- Access to specialized seminars and lecture series and to world-unique facilities
As the von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone who meets the eligibility criteria below is encouraged to apply for this position.
- meet the requirements for the duties concerned.
- be a citizen of one of the VKI partner countries (see link): https://www.vki.ac.be/index.php/home-v16/eligibility
Von Karman Site Location: Close to Brussels @ Rhode-Saint-Genèse (Flemish-Brabant)
Contact information: For further information, please contact Professor Olivier Chazot (firstname.lastname@example.org).
How to apply
Applications must contain a CV, motivation letter (including a statement of research vision and teaching interests), publication list, contact information of two referees, copy of the Degree and Master title. CV must clearly indicate the exact dates of (1) each position held in the past, and (2) countries of residence in the last 5 years.
Important: do NOT send your application by email but apply online.