Who we are
The growing demand for healthy, safe and sustainable food has increasingly imposed restrictions on agricultural practices. Therefore, improving food production efficiency in a sustainable way, while safeguarding the environment and its natural resources, is essential.
We at Biotalys have the ambition to transform food protection, shaping the future of sustainable and safe food supply. We are a rapidly growing and transformative food and crop protection company developing a new generation of protein-based biocontrol solutions.
Based on our ground-breaking technology platform, we have developed a broad pipeline of effective and safe products with novel modes of action, addressing key crop pests and diseases across the whole value chain, from soil to plate. Our products combine the high-performance characteristics of chemicals with the clean safety profile of biologicals, making them ideal crop protection agents for both pre- and post-harvest applications.
Our headquarters are located in the vibrant biotech cluster in Ghent, Belgium. More information can be found on www.biotalys.com.
To strengthen our valuable team of dedicated employees, and to bring novel biocontrol products on the market Biotalys is looking for a highly motivated and innovative Head of Lead Characterization.
Scope of your job
It will be your mission to design, qualify and validate a very diverse and complex set of bioanalytical assays (in vitro and in vivo) in support of our protein-based biocontrol discovery programs. Development, validation and implementation of creative new bioassays are included in these activities, as well as mode of action studies. You will be responsible to lead and develop the team, setting personal and group objectives in alignment with organizational goals.
- Lead the Characterization group, providing technical, managerial and strategic leadership to the group.
- Lead the overall strategy and manage delivery and timelines of bioanalytical, in vitro and on planta bioassay This includes development of flexible, scalable and HT bioassays for in vitro and on planta screening of protein-based bio-controls to control fungal, bacterial and/or insect diseases.
- Responsible for bioanalytical/bioassay strategies (ELISA, cell-based assay, flow cytometry, in planta assays, ...), methods, data and documents for all programs, both internal and external.
- Ensure new bioanalytical/bioassay technologies are being assessed and incorporated when appropriate.
- Review study data and write/contribute to reports for regulatory filings as required.
- Collaborate with departmental and inter-departmental colleagues to ensure that bioanalytical/bioassay results meet quality and timeline requirements. Mentor Lead Characterisation representatives to achieve team objectives.
- Encourage personal Foster good teamwork and communicate amongst staff. Build a reputation for excellence both as an individual and as a team.
- Collaborate effectively with different key stakeholders within and outside
What we are looking for
- D/MS degree in Life Sciences or related discipline.
- At least 8 years of industrial experience in protein bioanalysis experience.
- At least 5 years of people leadership experience is required with proven record of developing team members.
- Capable of thinking out-of-the-box and being open-minded.
- Strong scientific and problem-solving skills, including design and coordination of study-driven issues.
- Hands-on experience and broad knowledge of bioanalytical/bioassay method development using different platforms (ELISA, Flow cytometry, cell-based assays, ...) is required.
- Experience in growth chamber disease bioassay development is a definite plus.
- Experience in plant pathology and particularly development of biological and/or crop protection products is a plus.
- Ability to solve problems methodically; able to take initiative and act independently.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing circumstances and manage activities to meet the needs of the business while maintaining focus on quality.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- On-site presence is required.
What we offer
Teamwork, innovation, passion, well-being and accountability are the Biotalys’ values that guide our business and that we prize when we recruit new talent and reward our employees. We strive to create an exciting and dynamic working environment in which you will be challenged to take initiative, contributing to the success of the company. You will work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team of top innovators in the AgriFood Biotech industry who will support you to further develop and grow your personal skills. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary and benefits package.
Are you ready to set new grounds and new standards? Please apply via our career site www.biotalys.com and add your CV and motivation letter to your application.