Laboratory Associate Teacher & Technician (High School)
The International School of Brussels (ISB) is a dynamic, inclusive learning organization committed to developing independent learners and international citizens. The school is a vibrant community in which students, teachers, staff and parents work together towards the achievement of our mission and goals.
ISB is looking for a Laboratory Associate Teacher & Technician to reinforce the High School - Science & Technology department. Position will be opened as from next School Year (starting at the end of August 2023) for a fixed-term contract of 1 or 2 years. Contract could be extended on permanent basis afterwards.
Introduction to the position
The High School Laboratory Associate Teacher & Technician will be an active member of the Science & Technology department with the aim of supporting students by efficiently and safely running laboratories and assisting teachers in the learning environment. The successful candidate must have appropriate experience.
- Overseeing laboratory operation and administration (effective scheduling of purchases, compilation of departmental budget, management of chemicals and equipment inventory)
- Ensuring that safety requirements are maintained in the handling of chemicals (correct and safe storage, use and disposal) and apparatus (use and maintenance pre- and post experiments)
- Timely preparation of all materials necessary to classroom experiments & all properly checked
- Assisting the teachers during planning (creation of appropriate curriculum resources including distance learning resources, revision of lab protocols) and in the learning environment (student instruction during lab activities) including occasional (when appropriate) teaching in the classroom
- Independent supervision of students during individual work across all grade levels (i.e. G10: Options labs; G11: Extended Essays; G12: IAs), offering instruction regarding conceptual understanding, method planning and equipment manipulation.
Skills and competences
Our Staff Members:
- Wish to work in a changing and multicultural environment
- Ensure open communication and respect
- Work proactively and with initiative and innovation
- Are customer-friendly and service-oriented
- Are systems thinkers and problem solvers
- Are collaborative team-players
- Are literate in IT skills
- Are flexible and adaptable
- Are committed to their own learning
Specific Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate degree in Chemistry/Physics/Biology with significant laboratory experience
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Prior experience is a plus
- A good user knowledge of using a Google environment and database processing
- Willingness to learn
- Comfortable working with students who are involved with individual & group work
- Methodical and detail-orientated
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Flexible on working hours schedule when needed, including occasional Saturdays to support student learning
The International School of Brussels is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate based on race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, religion or marital status.
ISB has established a rigorous vetting process and code of conduct for all employees with regard to child protection.
Please note that by applying, you automatically consent to ISB processing the personal information that you have communicated for the needs of the recruitment process. ISB will hold your CV in the school's databases for a period of 12 months.
Instructions for application:
If you see yourself in this challenging and exciting position, please apply through ISB’s website at isb.be or email your letter of interest and CV to Laura Berntson, High School Head as firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be conducted at the earliest opportunity.