ABOUT EIT FOOD:
EIT Food is Europe’s leading food innovation initiative, working to make the food system more sustainable, healthy and trusted by consumers. Established by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) in 2017, EIT Food is a young and fast-growing partnership organisation focusing on entrepreneurship and innovation in the food sector.
EIT Food is a member organisation bringing together key industry players, agri-food startups, research centres and universities from across Europe representing the food value chain in Europe. In addition to thematic leadership, EIT Food is also responsible for coordinating a multi-million euro EU grant allocation from the EIT and distributing it among its partners and stakeholders for the implementation of projects.
EIT Food headquarters (HQ) are based in Leuven (Belgium) and it has 5 regional offices (Co-Location Centres or CLCs) in Europe (based in Poland, Spain, Germany, the UK and Belgium), each working with and for partners in several EIT Food partner countries.
JOB AND CONTRACT TYPE:
Financial Controller, full-time permanent position.
The selected candidate will be based at EIT Food ivzw, the HQ in Leuven (Belgium).
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
We are looking for an experienced Financial Controller, to assist with all aspects of financial management, including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecast preparation, as well as maintaining internal control policies and procedures. Finance Controller responsibilities will also include financial risk management.
You will be part of a team of professionals working to maintain order and transparency for the company’s finances, in an organisation which is dynamic and continuously evolving. The ideal candidate is well-versed in Belgian accounting principles and able to work comfortably with numbers and has a strong attention to detail. EIT Food’s portfolio of activities is continuously expanding and developing, so agility is key.
EIT Food receives EU funding and must ensure compliance with grant eligibility conditions, in particular under the Horizon Europe programme. The Financial Controller will be expected to support in ensuring compliance with grant conditions, in particular related to the use of EU funds.
EIT Food is an international organisation with colleagues working across several European locations. The position of financial controller will be located in a multinational team at EIT Food HQ in Leuven (near Brussels). In the future we plan to consolidate the financial reporting of HQ and regional offices, so the role will evolve and grow with the organisation.
- Monitor all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, GL, Cost Accounting and Revenue Recognition;
- Assist with the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts and report variances;
- Prepare and publish timely monthly financial statements and reports;
- Ensure quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting;
- Support the Finance Manager to prepare cash-flow reports and project cash on a monthly basis;
- Support in the preparation of regulatory reporting, in close cooperation with the Finance Manager and Senior Accountant;
- Assist with the implementation of a new ERP-system in 2023, NetSuite;
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls;
- Support Finance Manager in cost reporting to EIT and other funding agencies;
- Support during audits (statutory audit and audits imposed by funding bodies).
- Additional controller duties as necessary.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE / SKILLS:
- Bachelors degree in Finance or Accounting or alternatively a degree coupled with relevant professional experience;
- Minimum 3 years proven experience in audit and /or controlling;
- Certified in Belgian GAAP;
- Fluent in Dutch and excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- Thorough knowledge of MS Office (especially excel), familiarity with accounting tools as well as willingness to learn new IT systems. Experience in using NetSuite, MS Access and/or Power BI are considered an asset;
- The ability to confidently communicate in English with colleagues, partners & suppliers;
- Process-orientation with strong attention to detail and respect for internal and external deadlines;
- Engaged team player, also able to work independently and flexible to work in small (multi-national) teams with regional offices;
- Open-minded, looking forward to working in a multicultural environment. Experience in an international environment is considered an asset;
- Experience of working with EU funding, in particular the Horizon Europe programme / EIT, is considered an asset;
- Knowledge of Belgian legislation on international non-profit legal entities (IVZW/AISBL) is considered an asset.
EIT Food is an equal opportunity employer, offering each candidate matching the minimum obligatory qualifications and experiences an equal chance in employment and promotion procedures.
Interested candidates are asked to upload their CV and Cover Letter in English in electronic format to CV Warehouse.
Shortlisted candidates may be invited for an interview. Shortlisted candidates may be asked to prove their background, qualifications, skills and experiences by providing relevant documents.