EDITOR in Chief at Friends of Europe asbl
Do you want to help reimagine a democracy fit for the 21st century, one where citizens are encouraged and empowered to play a greater role in the big strategic and policy decisions that will affect their lives, and the lives of future generations?
Great, then you might be Debating Europe’s next Editor-in-Chief!
Debating Europe is the citizen engagement and democracy unitof Friends of Europe, the Brussels-based think tank for a more sustainable, inclusive and forward-looking Europe. Since launch in 2011, we’ve placed citizens at the very heart of our work, putting forward their opinions and questions for Europe’s leaders to react to, and fostering debate between them.
As part of Friends of Europe’s drive to define a renewed social contract for Europe by 2030, Debating Europe will focus on the twin strategic objectives of regenerating democracy and promoting a new kind of leadership through citizen centric debates, panels, focus groups, workshops, and a brand new area of expertise focused on democracy.
To make this happen we are looking for an experienced and ambitious professional to lead our editorial operations and grow our impact and reach across Europe. If you think you fit the bill, we’d love to hear from you. Please send 1-page cover letter and your CV by January 31 st 2023.
- Work with the Director to define and realize Debating Europe’s citizen engagement and democracy related strategy.
- Responsible for Debating Europe’s overall editorial output and implementation across all its linguistic platforms together with the national editors.
- In charge of producing all English-language output, namely -
- Identify interviewees and speakers
- Conducting interviews with experts, policymakers, and citizens
- Drafting debates
- Conceiving and hosting panels and podcasts
- Planning and moderating focus groups, as well as commissioning and/or writing the related reports
- Occasionally moderating workshops
- Ensure all output has proper voice, context, balance and clarity and is in line with the editorial strategy.
- Align Debating Europe’s editorial output with Friends of Europe’s activities, ensuring a central citizen dimension.
- Provide the multimedia and communications team with clear instructions on how to present Debating Europe’s content, including post-campaign evaluation.
- Occasionally moderate Friends of Europe’s events.
- Experience in leading editorial teams, ideally within an EU policy related environment.
- Fluent English speaker with exceptional writing and presentation skills; another European language is a plus.
- Strong leader and team player
- Excellent interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Extremely reliable, highly organised and with attention to detail.
- Ability to link strategy with programme/operational level is essential.
- Start-up mindset and hands-on attitude.
- Proven ability to work independently in cross-functional, distributed teams
- A keen interest in and experience with citizen engagement and democracy related policies, is a major plus.
- Commitment to actively including and promoting equality of opportunity
- Experience conceiving and managing data driven projects, highly desirable.
Friends of Europe is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for all applicants, by providing equal treatment of all job applications received, regardless of applicants’ ethnic origins, gender, sexual orientation, disability or health status. We especially encourage applications from those who have been historically excluded or not had fair and equal opportunities to apply.
- This position is open to nationals of EU/EEA member states or Switzerland, and to non-EU nationals in possession of a valid work permit.
- Candidates must be legally and permanently allowed to work in Belgium (no assistance provided to obtain a visa or work permit).
- We expect from our employees that they commit themselves to follow and respect the Friends of Europe equal opportunities policy.
HOW DO YOU APPLY?
- Interested candidates are asked to upload their CV and cover letter in English in electronic format to the CV Warehouse tool on our website friendsofeurope.org(careers).
- Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and are open until 31 January 2023.